Run

In my last post I wrote about learning to breathe with my diaphragm. Well, I am still not really doing it naturally yet, but as I do it, I've been trying not to move my shoulders and so what I end up doing it tightening the muscles in my shoulders and neck. This weekend, I had/ still have a horrible knot in my neck. I am still trying to do the breathing though. That just brings me to my conversation with Aaron's family this weekend about exercise.

Here's me and exersize. It's like we're from foreign countries if "working out" is in the sentence. Exercise liking walking, playing tennis, and biking are great. Exercise like lifting weights, going to the gym, or weight bearing activities are like speaking a foreign language. Aaron's brother is studying to be a physical therapist so I picked his brain. I know I should do more core strengthening exercising becuase I use my back a lot at school lifting kids. I am on my feet all day. I often have a sore back or other minor issues. I am very thankful that most of my issues are minor, however I am aware that if I don't do things to strengthen my body, they could become major.

So I listened to many ideas circulate the room and Dan graciously shows me a couple exercises. I got a little overwhelmed thinking about how to actually do this. My main problem is often motivation. I start something, go strong for 4 or 5 days and then start backing off when things get busy or I get sore. Take the weights that my sister got me probably 2 christmases ago. They are gathering dust under my bed.

I decided to go spend some quiet time outside talking to God about this. He made my body He should know what I need to do. As I started to journal I asked the questions, "Am I right to worry about my body this way? How do I do these things well? Did Jesus work out or wonder about these things? What should I do to work out?" I started writing my logical thoughts on the subject and I really felt God saying, "Are you really listening [to me]?"

I stopped and put my pen down. No. I was just spiraling downward in my thoughts.

So I sat quietly and thought about asking a friend to do a work out video.
"No," came a quiet, gentle voice in my heart.

And then a beautiful conversation with God went like this- and this doesn't happen often. So if you think I'm crazy, that's ok. I probably am, but that doesn't change how real God is. And here's how I know it was God speaking these things to me. They were not words that were spoken out of fear or guilt or logic. Earlier I had told Aaron's family that I hated running because I got a cramp in my side in less than a mile. And when Aaron suggested exercising with him in the morning, I flat out said no...

"Ok God, what do you want me to do?"
"I've told you before and I will tell you again. I want you to run."
I protested, "What run?"
"Yes. I want you to run."
Instantly I was taken back to a memory last year of friends praying for my back. I remembered hearing the word, "Run." I did for a little while, but haven't been consistent.
"Ok... do you want me to run with Aaron? A friend?"
"No. I will run with you." How beautiful! I got tears. I had thought to ask friends to help motivate and while God sometimes does use community like that, sometimes we have to realize that he is the giver of life and motivation, desire and passion.
"When do you want me to run?"
"In the mornings."

Haha. This is funny God. But I am actually stoked about it. I love the mornings and I know they'll be getting colder, but I know that I am free in this. I got the feeling that running in the morning might not become the habit for me, but the catalyst for my consistency in exercise.

God is so sweet to me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"You make my dreams come true"

On choosing to be fearless and strong

Summer books!