God's children

My heart started so heavy this evening after reading an email and thinking on some things I know going on in friend's lives. It just grieved my heart to know there is such pain and suffering in the world. I found myself missing some deep, rich time journaling and reading scripture because I've been working out in the morning or running when I usually spend some quiet time with God. I've still be using that time to listen to songs and worship, but I found myself needing a different quiet time to really come to God and lay my burdens down.

Among other things, I had been thinking about the girls coming tomorrow morning to the Potter's Place to do art with myself and 2 other "mentors." I am so excited and so nervous. I don't know what to expect at all. That's probably a good thing. Being a special education teacher means I've become really good at doing things well on the fly. The girls coming are part of a program in which they do community service and attend other activities in order to wipe their record clean of a non-violent crime they've committed. That is heavy. And these teenagers, and so many other children like them, are often just the victims. And that breaks my heart. Just breaks it. I can't stand that injustice. I realized this terrifying thought that children can reap the benefits or consequences of their parents behavior and they've had no voice in the matter. Abuse, neglect, drugs, hostility... so many things affecting our children today.

And then as I was journaling I realized...

I am GOD'S child- they are GOD'S children. When we put our hope and faith in none other than Jesus Christ, he washes us clean through his death. We live in such a seemingly hopeless and dying world some days, but God is here everyday with us and because of that we can have hope. I reap the benefits of being adopted as God's daughter. He loves me with a fierce and protective love. I am totally set free from the chains of the world that bind me. It is still a work in progress everyday because I still living here in the world and listen to my flesh so much more than my spirit.

That is such beautiful truth. I am amazed by Jesus. I don't deserve any of his love and he gives it anyways.

"Search for the Lord and for His strength, seek His face always. Remember the wonderful works he has done!"  -Psalm 108:4-5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On choosing to be fearless and strong

"You make my dreams come true"

Summer books!