Grandparents Day

It was Grandparents Day at school which doesn't usually mean much except that it's somewhat more crazy with the influx of new people in the school and the kids are more hyper than normal- if you can call anything in my class normal :).

One of my assistants took the students whose grandparents were coming to the library and I realized I missed meeting one child's grandpa which made me disappointed because one of my goals for the year is to have stronger relationships with the parents and to really support them. At the end of lunch, our occupational therapist brought the child and his grandpa back to the cafeteria so I got to meet him! We talked about all the neat things his child- who has autism and is non-verbal was doing in our class. His grandpa was amazed. So we invited him back to our classroom so I could show him some of those things.

I showed him how his child could answer questions using an app on our iPad that speaks what you type into it. I showed him how his child could read aloud a little, tell time to the hour, match the number to the number word, and list went on. At one point he said, "This is bringing tears to my eyes." I was astounded. So often their family doesn't know what the child is capable of.

We often say and I do believe that parents know their child best, but I am realizing that sometimes parents don't know best how to help their child. I have read research, gotten a degree, and worked in many environments learning about children with disabilities. Often, parents just need to know what resources are out there and see things that we do in school.

Hopefully this is the first of many conversations that amaze parents.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On choosing to be fearless and strong

"You make my dreams come true"

Summer books!