Summer Book Review

So I am on a reading kick this summer. I love reading and didn't have much time this this school year. So the second to last day of the school year, I got myself a lovely library card. So here are the book's I've read so far and a brief recommendation/ description.


  • Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore (Technically, I finished this before school... but I am still counting it under summer reads) 
    • I LOVED this book. It's a must read for anyone interested in homelessness, inspiring non-fiction books, christianity, or anyone who is breathing. I love it.
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini 
    • Beautifully written. Page turning. Also a must read. Sad, but sweet. I learned alot about Afghanistan.
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
    •  Wow. A great book about loyalty, friendship, family ties, heritage, and Afghanistan. I love Hoesseini's writing. 
  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
    • This was a super interesting book. I had no idea was it was going to be about. I would definitely tell someone to read it, but I didn't get into as much as other books. It is written from the perspective of death in this very intriguing, objective, and yet colorful narrative about a girl living in Nazi Germany. I loved the story, but I couldn't get over it being written in a non-emotional way from "Death."
  • Black like me by John Griffin
    • It's a true story written by a journalist who turned his skin black during the 50s to see how he would be treated by whites and blacks with only a change in his color. He kept his same speech, name, and life story. He left his family in Texas and went to New Orleans, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. It was extremely eye-opening. I would highly recommend it. 
  • What difference do it make? by Ron Hall and Denver Moore
    • More encouraging stories about how their first book, Same Kind of Different As Me, inspired others to serve the poor. A good read. 
  • Folly Beach by Dorthea Benton Frank
    • I wouldn't reccomend this book. It's only saving grace to me was that is was witty. Other than that it was too dramatic and had "Mr. perfect."
  • Keeping Faith By Jodi Picoult
    • LOVED! A story about complex family ties, religion, and love.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On choosing to be fearless and strong

"You make my dreams come true"

Summer books!