Proclaim it from the rooftops

The other night a very interesting conversation about worship songs unfolded around our dining room table. Amidst a group of us who all go to the same church and like the "contemporary music" there, it still surprised me how much people liked or disliked different songs. Some liked ones that repeated the same lines over and over, other preferred the deep, poetic lyrics of traditional hymns, some liked to sing songs that referred to God as "You" instead of saying "He is...," some enjoy more quiet, reflective songs, while other love to raise their hands and dance to songs that praise the Lord. While I think there are times for all types of songs- I mean look at the Psalms- I was also struck by the words of my good friend Jordan, who hated a song I loved. Maybe hate isn't what she said... ok, disliked.

So Jordan says, "I don't like that song that says, '... caught in words, tangle in lies...'! No, I am not!" Then she goes on to say, very emphatically, that she is not caught up in lies because she is free in Christ and not a slave to sin anymore.

I LOVE that song. So after getting over my shock I said- very emphatically as well, "What?! I totally am caught up in words tangled in lies. Ugh, that is so me. I love that song because it says, "You are my savior and you take brokenness aside and make it beautiful!."

And she said (if you even remember this Jordan), "No, I'd rather proclaim truth over myself."

I thought, well yea, that's nice and true. I still like that song a lot, but it got me thinking.

Fast forward to last night. Jordan starts telling me how blessed I am and here's why... and then she lists like 8 reasons.

 And I keep saying, "Yea, but..."

So she stops me and says, "See, you keep saying 'yea, but...' stop it. This is truth."

Mmm. Isn't that our reaction? I like to feel flattered and yet, I don't want to be prideful and say, "Yea, I am that great." But that was my misunderstanding. She was not telling me how great I was. She was telling me how great God is and how HE has blessed me. Not for anything I've done, but because he's a good God. And as friends, if we point out the blessings in other's lives, how easy it is to praise Him!

So I thought back to our conversation around the dinner table. Do I proclaim truth to myself? Truthfully, not as often as I should. So if I don't proclaim it to myself, how can I proclaim it to others?

Jesus said, "Love others as you love yourself." Seems a bit strange doesn't it? I have to love myself before I love others? It's not about loving myself the way the world does- to value myself based on looks, money, talent, and status. It's about seeing that yes, I am a selfish mess and Jesus died so I can have access to God and spend eternity in heaven with him. HE made me and HE loves me. HE gave me gifts and talents to use for HIS glory. So, when I understand that, it will make me want to proclaim this same thing over other people.

HE loves you. HE gave you gifts and talents. HE died for you. HE is always with you. HE will never leave you.

Psalm 105:1

Give praise to the LORD, proclaim his name; make known among the nations what he has done.



Comments

  1. Love this. :)

    I too can't really bring myself to sing that song, along with others. A few years back I was challenged to see myself as God sees me which is as a saint, a child, the object of His affection, redeemed, and justified. As a parent, I would never let my own child beat herself up verbally, puhleez! God is a way better parent than I am so I just try to always agree with His and His opinions of me which are good, kind, and true.

    How are we ever supposed to live a truly supernatural life, the one that Jesus modeled for us, if we cannot humbly and willingly accept and declare who He has now made us? If the power of life and death is in the tongue (thanks Bible!) we can't be surprised if our prayers, children, marriages, finances, etc. do not reflect the Kingdom of Heaven if we are not proclaiming the ridiculously good truth of God over those entities.

    I'm with ya lady! Let's declare, speak, proclaim, believe all that God has to say about us in His infinite love and kindness!

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On choosing to be fearless and strong

"You make my dreams come true"

Summer books!