Sunshine on our faces

Anyone noticing how I'm writing much more? Probably only my mom, dad, and Nana- thanks faithful readers. I know you all are enjoying my increase of time here.

- - - - - -

Her pepper and salt hair framed her face nicely and her modern, square-rimmed glasses pulled it all together. She sat in the corner of the booth, her husband next to her and her twenty- something son sitting diagonally from her, his leather jacket hung on the back of his chair. Her son and husband were on their smartphones- heads down, pausing occasionally for a sip of good coffee. She quietly looked around the restaurant, at her napkin, at her family sitting at the table with her.

The classic American family of 4 sat the booth to my right. The mom and dad positioned across from each other with their elementary aged children huddled together around a tablet next to their dad- his own eyes on his smartphone. The light of their tablets lighting up their faces under the soft light of the hanging pendant lamp above their booth.

I glanced at those families occasionally during our meal. We outlasted them both. We sat there probably too long- a family of 5 sitting around, pouring multiple cups of coffee, retelling old memories, and listening to new stories as each of us are having an adventure of our own in life.

I wiped my mouth one last time, set the napkin on the table, and got ready to rise as a large family of about 12 trundled in together- the whole kit and caboodle- grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles and children. I watched them. The youngest child scooted his energetic self all the way down the booth seat to the corner. Mom had walked in armed already and quickly handed over her iPad to him. He opened it before the menu even though he was definitely of reading age. They each preceded to arrange their winter garments on the back of their seat, put napkins in their laps, and when we left not even 2 minutes later, there was almost a one-to-one ratio of either tablet or smartphone.

I cannot judge any of those families in the least bit. I can only recount what I saw and what it made me reflect upon. Aaron and I don't have smartphones (which has been a conscious decision), but we do have an iPad and I must admit we love it. But the other day, I got to thinking about how much time I spend on it at home. If I have an extra 15 minutes before leaving the house, I pick up the sleek silver iPad, slide that unlock button, and pop open gmail and Facebook. Occasionally I decide I need a break from Facebook for my own sanity and joy, but I will still reach for that iPad and check gmail and another website in my spare few minutes. I got to wondering the other day. What did I do before this little miracle of technology?

I would pick up my guitar and play three songs. I would sit down and brush the dogs or let them run around a few extra minutes in the yard. I would pick up a good book and read another chapter. I would tidy up the kitchen table. I would water the house plants.

Now sometimes, I find my house plants wilting and thirsty, my dogs a little less loved, and the callouses on my fingertips from those shiny guitar strings gone. But somehow I still have time for that iPad- those 15 minutes make a different.

I wonder about social media, about technology. Probably because I am slightly a hippie at heart and a thrifty shopper, but also because I think about it's impact on our souls.

I have seen how it can be used for good, but I have also seen how it crushes the confidence of girls, distances families at the table, and creates a greenhouse for comparison, jealousy, hatred, gossip, and hurtful words.

I know there are benefits of technology, but I want to raise children that have sunshine instead of the tv glow lighting up their faces and fingers that would rather tap out melodies on a piano instead of tap out texts to a friend. I want to breathe fresh air daily, get my hands dirty, laugh with friends, invite people into our home, play more guitar, paint more- all those things I love, but can so easily forget in the midst of the technology craze.

I don't want to judge anyone, I only wish would would ask questions and reflect on our choices and actions more often. If we don't ask questions, we just slip into doing what one else is doing without a thought to it's ramifications.

So, this season and this coming year, I am praying about simplifying. We make things too complex sometimes. It's not technology that makes things more complex- it's our hearts. I am not sure what simplifying looks like this year- but we'll see what comes my way.

May your year be blessed with the simple and glorious love of Jesus.





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On choosing to be fearless and strong

"You make my dreams come true"

On sabbathing and first Fridays