I am a poor boy too.

I am currently obsessed with this version of The Little Drummer Boy by Pentatonix. Go watch it and be amazed if you haven't already. I am almost embarrassed to admit that I just replayed the last 30 seconds or so about 20 times when the beatbox guy starts doing the stomp clap beat. I tried to learn that stomp clap part, but alas I am left only wishing I was cool enough to do it without a painful thinking/ terribly trying look on my face. Oh well. It doesn't matter because I play my best for Him.
Before I found this ridiculously awesome song, I just just playing regular ol' Pandora while a good friend sat at my kitchen counter while I cooked. A different version of Little Drummer Boy came on and she commented briefly about the beauty of that song. 

A little boy comes to Jesus and he has nothing to give. All he knows how to play is his drum and so that's what he does. As good as he can. And he's waiting probably. Terrified. The king of the universe could reject him. So he plays hard. He plays his best. All his practice has come to this moment. And ... Jesus smiles at him. 

Isn't that the gospel summed up in a song? God sends his son- Jesus. We are sinners and we have nothing to give. What we even "have" are not ours, but talents that he has given us. So we come before him, do our best, and He smiles. Gloriously smiles. A proud, loving, kind Savior who opens wide his arms and embraces us. 

Even when I think my best doesn't measure up- He smiles. Even when I think my one talent isn't enough- He smiles. Even when I am convinced that I am undeserving to even come before the throne- He smiles. 

He smiles not because my best is acceptable, my one talent is pleasing, or I am desevering. In fact, I am so incredibly undeserving. My best falls miserably short.

He smiles because of the grace and mercy in his act of coming down to the world for us. He is grace. He is mercy. Jesus pardons our sin. He doesn't overlook them, he accounts for them. Every single one. He pays the price for it with His life. So when God looks at us, he sees Jesus's righteousness, His goodness. And He smiles at me because He loves me so much.

That. is. mind. blowing. Happy Advent!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On choosing to be fearless and strong

"You make my dreams come true"

On sabbathing and first Fridays