On being washed and loving one another


Are we are one in the Spirit, are we are one in the Lord?
Are we are one in the Spirit, are we are one in the Lord?
Will we pray that all unity may one day be restored?
Will they know we are Christians by our love, by our love?
Will they know we are Christians by our love?


Will we work with each other, will we work side by side?
Will we will work with each other, will we work side by side?
Will we guard each one's dignity and save each one's pride?
Will they know we are Christians by our love, by our love?
Will they will know we are Christians by our love?


Will we walk with each other, will we walk hand in hand?
Will we walk with each other, will we walk hand in hand?
Will we spread the news that God is in our land?
Will they know we are Christians by our love, by our love?
Will they will know we are Christians by our love?


This song has been playing in my mind for several days. I changed the italicized words above so that is not the original lyrics. I changed them into a question.

The other night, I had a meltdown talking to Aaron about frustrations out of the day and at the end I blurted the real shame seizing me. The pride of looking at a friend, a sister in Christ, and judging- judging what they deserved. It was ugly, horrid, shameful. I hate that I even thought that. I hate that I judge others for judging.

I want the heart of Jesus.

I still don't get it sometimes. I still don't get that God's grace is not earned, that he has redeemed us from our sin, that we are not in bondage anymore. That's the root issue. I still do not live like a freed child of God. I have taken the mentality of the world that says, "I want to be noticed. I want glory to be mine," and "christianified" it. Instead of fancy cars, lots of money, and a big house, I want to be the most wise, most knowledgeable, most humble, most loved, most gentle, most sought after.

Before the Passover Festival, Jesus is spending time with His disciples. John 13:3 says, " Jesus knew that the Father had given everything into His hands, and that He had come from God, and was going back to God. So, He got up from supper, laid aside His robe, took a towel, and tied it around Himself. Next, He poured water into a basin and began to wash His disciples' feet and to dry them with the towel tied around Him."

There is a little connecting word between those two sentences that I never noticed before.

So.

He knew who He was in God SO, he washed their feet.
He knew who He was in God SO, he served in humility.
He knew who He was in God SO, He gave his life for them.

I need to know who I am in God SO I can love my brothers and sisters in Christ.

I need to remember I am washed by Jesus SO I can love my brothers and sisters in Christ.

Jesus gave us the greatest example. He said, "Love one another as I have loved you. By this all people will know if you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." (John 13:35).

He cares about us loving one another because we are His body. We are the proof of His love here on earth. We are the church, His bride. If we can't work together in love, what are we showing the world?

I was cut to the core. And then yesterday as this blog post was brewing in my mind I read Ann Voskamp's blog post The 1 Command that could resurrect our church, heal our broken places, and the sisterhood of women. Wow. Go read it. Go read everything on her blog.

Psalm 51:7a "Wash me and I will be whiter than snow."

Thank you Jesus for washing me clean.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On choosing to be fearless and strong

"You make my dreams come true"

Summer books!