10,000 reasons including death and a casket

I should be doing school work for this week, but after going to a funeral, it doesn't seem as important and I'd rather write here real quickly.

Today I went to a funeral for a former student of mine who was on homebound (meaning he was never in my class- his instruction took place at home). I have another child from their home in my class currently and I wanted to be there to support and bless the family. When I picked up the order of the service sheet, I noticed that the second song was one we sang at church this morning and I immediately smiled. The song is called "10,000" Reasons. Here are the words:

[Chorus]
Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name

The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes

[Chorus]

You're rich in love, and You're slow to anger
Your name is great, and Your heart is kind
For all Your goodness I will keep on singing
Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find

[Chorus]


And on that day when my strength is failing
The end draws near and my time has come

Still my soul will sing Your praise unending
Ten thousand years and then forevermore


I found it so sweet that these songs and these praises and these declarations of God's goodness can be found on a Sunday morning amidst a strong, healthy group of believers and alongside a casket, a colorful floral arragement, and a few rows of seats next to a hole in the ground. The service was so centered on Christ and rich in celebration. And here was the sweetest thing- this teenager had a feeding tube, a trache tube, was non-verbal, and was on oxygen. The pastor said that he is now seated at a feast with Jesus tasting the goodness of God's glory and singing his praises with the other angels and saints. Now isn't that a beautiful picture?

There are so many questions I am walking through during this Lent season and the only place God keeps bringing me is lower- lower to my knees. Lower to where the questions don't matter. Lower to where I only see his glory greater. Lower to where my hands meet the cool, dark earth I see my frailty, my helplessness, and my sinful nature. Lower to where when I lift my head I see his rich, abundant mercy and grace poured out for my on the cross. Halleluah!!!

Still my soul will sing your praise unending..........


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"You make my dreams come true"

On choosing to be fearless and strong

Summer books!