On books and words

I love books. I know I should "never say never," but I am quite very much sure indeed unlikely to ever use a kindle or nook. There's just something about books- flipping through them, smelling them, holding them. And I love the library. I love the rows of books- the colors, titles, and images that beckon you to pull them off the shelf and enter their world. I love the quietness. Everyone moves so slowly and carefully. It is an odd thing to be fully aware of all that is going on around you and yet so engrossed in what you are reading, but it is possible at a library.

Today, I pulled One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp off the shelf to read. It is an incredible book about her journey from such deep brokenness, despair, and doubt into living life fully through thanksgiving. She writes beautifully of her dare to herself to write 1,000 gfits from God that she is thankful for. I have been amazed at how her brilliant writing makes even the most mundane tasks sound so glorious and magnificent. Suddenly, I want to be like her having six children, homeschooling them, living on a farm, baking hot bread and melty chocolate-y desserts, and doing dishes and laundry all day. But, that's the irony of it- it is ordinary- exactly not the life to be desired by most. But the words, the language we use to describe who we are, what we do, what we see, what we hear, what we smell can make all the difference. And that's exactly what she finds in her book. The mundane become extraordinary as she gives thanks for them and learns to live in the moment.

I've been finding all these books and blogs I love of incredible women and incredible writers and I find myself falling into the trap of thinking, "What are my words adding? I'm not that awesome." But that's just it, our words are so important. We don't all have to be writers, but it matters what we say and what we think. It matters what we do. Because what we say and what we do are who we are.

Aaron and I watched a TED talk (addicted to those now) about how our body language affects what we think about ourselves. It was facinating really. And although it was not in the least bit spiritual, and more self-help than I believe is healthy- most of it was true because God indeed made us that way- she just left out the whole God part. She said, "Don't fake it till you make it, fake it till you become it."

That's why if we kneel when we want to run, we praise when when want to curse, we give thanks when we want to hurry, we open our hands when we want to close them, we listen when we want to talk, we pray when we want to worry, we find God -perfect, holy, good, and all-powerful- is right there holding us, guiding us, and loving us at every moment. And everything become light- our burdens and our darkness. And we become full of life and light. We are made whole. We have new eyes. We overflow with peace, love, joy, gentleness, goodness, and kindness.

Jesus has said, "Come to me all who are weary and burden and I will give you rest for my yoke is easy and my burden is light." -Matthew 11:28

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On choosing to be fearless and strong

"You make my dreams come true"

On sabbathing and first Fridays