Just another day in the life of a sped teacher

I haven't written about school in a while it seems. There's been nothing too noteworthy. It feels like we hit that slump just before Christmas where every one is blowing their nose so much we could fill a small pool, the kids are sporadic in attendance, and you wonder... is anyone even learning anything?

Well today, I have two great moments. In one I wanted to kiss my kid on the head and shout, "You are learning!!" in the other, I wanted to pee my pants laughing and I was at a complete loss for words.

Moment #theyareactuallylearning: I have a student who struggles, and I mean struggles, to retain anything related to number and letters. I just don't get it. A year and a half and it feels like we're getting nowhere. The strange thing is, he can recall characters from books SO well. Books that we read 6 months ago, he can still name the characters. So why can't he look at a 1 and say, "1?" I don't know. BUT I did decide a couple weeks ago to try making my own book for him in which I wrote a rhyming story about shapes. I made each shape into a character... Cynthia Circle, Tim Triangle, Sarah Star, Sammy Square, and Heather Heart. My assistant has been reading it to him and today was the first day since making it that I read it with him... he named 4 of the 5 shapes all by himself!!! And then later we were playing a game with a hula hoop and I said, "What shape is this hula hoop?" And he said... "Circle!!!" Hallelujah!

Moment #wetmypants: Today was "Take your picture in a sports car during recess if you turned in your fundraiser stuff" day. So, we bundle our kids up and take them out to take their picture. It was just adorable. My principal has a corvette and that's the car that we all were sitting in. So the last child got ready. He is in a wheelchair and we decided to get him out and put him the car. We took our picture and then got ready to transfer him to his wheelchair. As we are about to put him in his wheel chair... my eyes get huge and I say, "Um... is his seat wet?" Then at the same time my assistant and I turn at look at the seat of our principal's corvette and sure enough we can see the glistening pee in his seat. HOLY COW! So we put him in his chair and my assistant and I have our legs crossed and we are laughing hyserically. I apologized profusely. He was extremely gracious and cleaned it up. Oh my.

Just another day in the life....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On choosing to be fearless and strong

"You make my dreams come true"

Summer books!