Extra Ordinary Love

We crawl into our bed together after a long, yet fulfilling day. We turn to each other and quietly and tenderly read the vows we wrote and recited this day 3 years ago on a bright May day.

This night, 3 years later, we are tired, achy, and in love. I marvel at this extraordinary love- this extra ordinary love. It's the real thing. Our anniversary was not filled with candles, wine, and fancy food as we smiled longly at each other over dinner. There were no goggly eyes and butterflies. There was real life- the one we've carved together. There was grit and laughter and joy.

We spent our evening supporting children in our community, in my school, standing bravely in the spotlight while their little knees shook and the innocent hearts beat fast and they sang and danced their hearts out at our Talent Show. We looked at each other in the dim lights of an old gym and I thought- there's no better way to spend our anniversary.

Sometimes I want the candles and the wine, but mostly I want to make a difference together. I want to lay in bed at the end of a day in the house we made a home and whisper our vows tenderly to each other. I want love that forgives when we don't fulfill the vows. I want laughter that reaches deep and redeems pain. I want to get our hands dirty as we prune and plant and harvest in our yard. I want to love the world together. I want this deep, rich extra ordinary love. Ain't nothing special about it. Just two people who love each other and know they are loved by God.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On choosing to be fearless and strong

"You make my dreams come true"

On sabbathing and first Fridays