Surprising Allegiance

We geared up for the Clemson vs. Georgia game this week. Or in reality- tried to sound more enthused when we were asked about the game. Neither of us are huge football fans, but we both went to large southern universities with students and alumni who pray about, get butterflies during, and cry at football games. It's quite the phenomenon.

We are a house divided and since we've been together (7 whole years!) this is the first time they've played each other. During our 4 years burning up miles on i-85 traveling to and from our colleges, they never played each other despite our best hopes.

And now here they were playing each other and we going to traveling through several states to land in Memphis, TN for a wedding. We didn't mind really, but did wish we could have heard the deafening roar at Death Valley, tailgated with some friends, and enjoyed the liveliness and explosion of excitement in this little town.

All week, when asked, I said I would of course be pulling for Georgia. It's my Alma Mater. Glory, glory to Ol' Georgia!

Small things were red flags though. I happened to have overlooked my wardrobe choices in packing for the weekend and forgot a Georgia t-shirt to wear the day of and happened to pick a purple dress to wear to the wedding that night.

While at the reception, Aaron's brother, Dan, was attempting to receive the ESPN play by play on an iPhone with poor reception due to the reception hall.

Dan's face fell and he shook his head- Clemson got the first touchdown very early in the first quarter. Aaron starts dancing absurdly in his seat while the words "Celebrate good times, come on!" seemingly on cue blare through the speakers.

And then, this shocking thing happened to me.

I smile and join in. I can't help myself. I am excited that Clemson is up by 7. I realize my dancing and cool it down.

Then Georgia scores, it happens again- I get worried for Clemson.

And then I realize. Oh no. I have been converted and... I don't think I mind one bit. 

Uh oh. All my Georgia friends can gasp and look appalled. And all my Clemson friends can cheer real loud.

But it happened. I caved in. I rooted for Clemson all the way through as the five of us sat on 2 double beds after the reception in a hotel room in Memphis- eyes glued to the screen.

It makes me laugh. Not that football really even matters that much to me, but it shows me where my home is. I guess I didn't leave a piece of my heart in Athens. It makes sense. My four years in college, half of my heart was already in Clemson and now we've both been here 2 years and I suppose that orange and purple have gotten to me. Or more likely, the community, the friends, the mountains, the lake, the hiking trails, the quite streets, and our little home have captured my heart.

Aaron sometimes would call my his tigerlilley. I guess he knew better than me where my allegiance would lie one day.

But for the record... I still hope Georgia can brush themselves off and have a great season!

Here's to the beginning of football season!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On choosing to be fearless and strong

"You make my dreams come true"

On sabbathing and first Fridays