You did a great job today.

The days ebb and flow- particularly in seasons of business. Aaron has often compared my emotions to that graph/ function thing that goes up and down drastically (I, of course, cannot remember the technical name).

The day was full. Full of kids running, my brain running, my legs running. Aaron had told me to leave some things for him to do before everyone came over. The minutes ticked and six o'clock rolled around and there was no sign of his return. So, I hoped off the couch to do those things in record timing that I'd left for him plus the things I was going to do anyways. Slice the bread. Sweep the floors. Vacuum the rugs. Run the dogs around. Cook the sauce. Boil the noodles. Make the bed. Write an email.

Then they came. And time slowed and I breathed the fresh aroma of Jesus in the form of community.

We sang, we prayed, we read the creation story and let old words sear new life on our hearts. The story we've heard a thousand times. And God said... And it was good... And somewhere along the way He made us in His own image.

But that day of rest. That's the day that gets me. A new person in our group said the words and I scratched them into my journal pages pleading for them to make it to my heart.

God rested from his work to enjoy the good works. To smile with satisfaction. To nod His head with approval. That's not the new part to me though.

It's that our rest is the same. It's to look at His work and say, "wow, that's good."

True rest is not those few hours on Sunday I try to not to work. True rest is not those moments I get to put my feet up. True rest is not just sitting outside and being quiet.

True rest is smiling with satisfaction, nodding my head, and saying, "You did a good job, today God." Perhaps, I just put new words to the old word "praise." "I extol you" became "you did a good job, God." And somehow, in my brain, that made all the difference today.

Too often my days are marked with the opposite. I did pretty good today. I didn't stress too much today. I was pretty creative today. I was fairly productive today. 

Or more often they are tainted with the opposite of those thoughts even. I didn't do good enough today. I am so stressed today. I have so much to do and not enough time today. I wish I was doing something different with my life today. 

With the sun heating my car like an oven, I drove home today and laughed to myself as I replaced all too familiar sentences with new ones:

YOU did a good job today God. I couldn't have done it without you.

I am not doing a good job of anything. God is doing a good job of everything. in me. in you. in His children.

It's not even about me doing a good job. It's about the good job that God has already done. The price he's already paid. The debt that has already been cancelled. The sin that has already been forgiven. Thank you for you giving us your Son even when we did a quite horrible job and messed things up quite badly.

....And His children said, "It was good."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On choosing to be fearless and strong

"You make my dreams come true"

Summer books!