A sweet, sweet sound

On Friday, I had one of the those moments. Those moments are the ones that keep you going as a teacher. Those moments are the ones that remind you why you do what you do. Those moments are the ones that make you forget about the paperwork and lesson plans. Those moments are precious. I can't forget those moments.

I have a secret to share. Sometimes, I actually enjoy taking my children into our classroom restroom and helping them change their pull-up. I know it sounds crazy because most people think they couldn't do my job because of those times... but it can turn into one of those moments. I get a moment alone with a sweet child and I just get to hug them, whisper kind words to them, sing with them, tickle them, or laugh with them for a moment. I am not trying to manage another 10 children in a chaotic classroom. There is quiet and calm in that bathroom. There are no academic goals to achieve for a brief moment.

During this particular time, I held one of my children who has been going through some tough things in his family. I was giving him a big hug and started humming one of my favorite hymns. My child, who is non-verbal, started humming with me. It was clear humming. I was so shocked. I hummed that song about 5 times and then my voice cracked and tears filled my eyes. And he felt my chest move with each  tear and he patted my back and kept humming.

"Take joy my King in what You hear, let it be a sweet, sweet sound in Your ear."

Yes it was. A sweet, sweet sound not only in my ear, but in the ear of our Maker and Creator and King.

I love you Lord, and I lift my voice,
To worship you. Oh my soul, rejoice. 
Take joy my King in what you hear.
Let it be a sweet, sweet sound in your ear.

Comments

  1. Oh my word you did not....crying in my kitchen Kim!!! My favorite Jesus love song and one of my favorite teachers in the world. :) I am so glad you do what you do all the while letting your love for these precious people shine. I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On choosing to be fearless and strong

"You make my dreams come true"

On sabbathing and first Fridays