Time til harvest

The flowers we planted last fall are coming up green, alive, and full. I was skeptical last fall. Our hands were dirtied as we buried iris bulbs, hostas clumbs, daylilies, and tulip bulbs. Our backs were sore from shoveling dirt. Then winter came and there was nothing but barreness. What if we didn't plant them deep enough, shallow enough, water enough, fertilize enough?

Then the air turned warm and the sun and rains called forth the leaves. They unfurled overnight and spring arrived. The fruit of our labor arrived as well.

This spring we continue to plant. Weed. Dig. Plant. Cover. Mulch. Water. Repeat. There's a saying for perennials: first they sleep, then they creep, then they sweep. It takes three years until they are incredibly established and blooming and full. Part of me doesn't want to wait that long.

I want the blooms now, the weeds completely gone, the barren patches full.

The land around us only mirrors our heart within us. There is time to wait until the harvest.

I do not want to labor in prayer. I do not want to wait for answers. I do not want to constantly knock on heavens door.

I look around in nature and I also see the wild that comes up each year with no one tending to it. I want the wild, the fruitful, the untamed in my heart too. I want the fruit and not the labor.

But nature has both and my heart has both. The wild and untamed and yet the order and the labor. God is a God of both. I will bring my hands and my feet and my heart to him and I will use the gifts He has given me. I will ask for more and bang on heavens door. I will kneel each morning and ask again for my daily bread. I will mix it, kneed it, and let the bread rise. There is time to wait until the harvest.

I will pray and ask and praise and give thanks and I will cling to His word no matter what things around me look like because I know that the name of Jesus is greater than any other name.

Jesus who although fully God was also fully human and experienced the wait before the harvest. Jesus who labored in prayer. Jesus who hung on the cross for 6 hours when He could have in one word destroyed the angry crowd. Jesus who intercedes for me. Jesus who waits with me.

Jesus the name that is greater than wait.
Jesus the name that is greater than pain.
Jesus the name that is greater than sickness.
Jesus the name that is greater than earthquakes.
Jesus the name that is greater than bombs.
Jesus the name that is greater than ice storms.
Jesus the name that is greater than Gosnell.
Jesus the name that is greater than Tsarnaev and Tarelan.
Jesus the name that is greater than fear.
Jesus the name that is greater than abuse.
Jesus the name that is greater than depression.
Jesus the name that is greater than death.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On choosing to be fearless and strong

"You make my dreams come true"

On laughable things