New muscle memory

So I gave up social media for a week to begin my summer. Well, yes I am posting on my blog and realizing that is social media technically, but what I really meant was Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. My fingers fly on autopilot when I have even 15 spare minutes. Gmail.com to facebook.com to pinterest.com. Close that and tap the Instragram app.

Muscle memory is amazingly strong. Do something over and over and it becomes a habit, you don't even need to think about it. Let your fingers run over those ebony piano keys for several years and those chords and scales will become like breathing. I remember laying my fingers on a keyboard in middle school computer lab and painfully practicing touch typing. aaa sss ddd fff. And now, I barely think about where the letters are on a keyboard until I stumble upon a word that is uncommon and long.

And somehow now when I have 15 spare minutes I fly through those website and apps without even thinking that I may be able to do something more productive with my time.

In my now spare time this week, I have been picking up this short book and reading page after page about a man who gave up everything to give his whole life to bring street children in Africa into a relationship with Christ. And before that I read another short book, exploring what it really means to see God's kingdom here on earth and to be a part of that. Major life changing topics to say the least.

I am so focused on myself. I am much more concerned about how people see me and how I am feeling at the moment then the needs of the people around me. Jesus came and turned everything over. The first shall be last. The weak will shame the wise. He came to bring good news to all people. He stopped and talked to people everywhere He went. He was not in a rush. He was not trying to check off things on his to-do list which I imagine was pretty long if he wrote it out (quiet time on the mountain with Father, heal a women, preach a sermon, walk several miles to the next city, build a bed, cast out demons, teach the disciples... you know a simple list).

At the airport the other week, I noticed that everyone sitting and waiting had their smartphones out. What did the world do before smartphones? Did we actually have to look other people in the eye and strike up a conversation? When we saw a need did we actually address it instead of being to busy?

While we don't have smartphones, I see that I am so prone to fill my time with meaningless things. And while social media can be great in many ways, it mostly leaves me feeling empty, less than, unimportant, and dissatisfied with who I am and what I do. That's silly. Why would I want to do that if I knew there was a better Way?

I want different muscle memory. When faced with a tough situation, I want my knees to bend reflexively in prayer. When I see a material need that someone has, I want to pick up my wallet or ask God how I can help. When I have had a great day, I want to raise my hands in praise to Him who made my day good. When I am feeling down, I want to reach over for my Bible. When I get back to facebook, I want to get on the site and think "Who can I bless?" instead of "Who will I compare myself to?"

Father, change me. Lord, teach me to see others as you see them. Help me to look up and out instead of in. Let your good news be on my lips. Let my feet walk where you go. Let my hands help who you love. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On choosing to be fearless and strong

"You make my dreams come true"

On sabbathing and first Fridays