He clothes me.

Sometimes I tell Aaron I wish I was an animal or bug instead of a human because then I wouldn't have to plan complex things, resolve conflict, or worry about a schedule. Depending on the animal, I could do things like hop from tree to tree, swim in cool waters all day long, lounge around in the shade, or soar through the clouds. (side note: I realize animals actually do resolve conflict and plan complex things it just seems a bit different than humans...). The one time I expressed this desire to Aaron, I think I used the example animal of a cow simply because we were driving by a field of cows. He informed me this is not that normal- most people do not desire to be cows- so I have made a habit of not generally bringing this thought up in conversation.

I was in a bit of a funk today. A silly funk. One of those no-good-reason funks. I was standing under the shade of our dogwood tree watching our dogs play and looked up to find this hidden little creature keeping me company. Matthew 6 came to mind: "Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not labor or spin thread... If that's how God clothes the grass of the field that is here today and thrown into the furnace tomorrow, won't he do much more for you- you of little faith?"



That's just it. Nature seems to have this order, this beauty, this mystery, this consistency that seems unattainable when in fact it is not. God promises to clothe us with much more than what we deem "basic necessities."

God's first act of grace in the world was clothing Adam and Eve. After they had sinned, they realized they were naked and they were ashamed. They hid. God saw them and clothed them. A simple act, yet a great foreshadowing of Christ coming to clothe us in righteousness. We cannot sew ourselves an acceptable garment. We need His grace and mercy to cover us wholly.

"I will rejoice in the Lord; my soul will exalt in my God, for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation; he has covered me with the robe of righteousness." -Isaiah 61:10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On choosing to be fearless and strong

"You make my dreams come true"

On sabbathing and first Fridays